Saturday, March 20, 2010

Bengalis in Bangalore

I'm a Bengali. Bengalis are those unique creatures from the "Mamata fighting CIPM" land, who possess some typical characteristics which distinguish them from the rest of the crowd. Not the typical red bordered white saree clad women as shown on the television, nor the jostling at the fish shops.  Bengalis have certain certain cells in their grey matter, that dictates their behaviour in the crowd.

I've been in Bangalore for almost 2 years. My daily commutation by bus to my workplace has made me experience something about the Bengalis in Bangalore. Would definitely not extrapolate to all the bengalis in Bangalore, but is applicable to lot of them, including me at time.

Being in a different state(Karnataka) where one would not hear "Dada(elder brother)" , "Didi(elder sister)" and "Boudi(sister-in-law, elder brother's wife)" around, Bengalis tend to think that they are the only one among the crowd, whose cryptic language would enable them to express their thoughts and gossips aloud.


Unaware of another Bengali's presence, Bengalis tend to speak aloud. The other day, a young lady sitting just behind me was speaking over the phone. I couldn't avoid eve's dropping to her interesting talks.

"Ki hoyechhe go?(What happened dear?)"........."Tumi shara din kothai boloni (You didn't talk to me the whole day)"(passionately)........."Tumi personal life aar professional life ke alada rakho (keep your personal life and professional life separate)"(tone becoming harsh).........."Na na na, aamio chakri kori, tumi ekai shob korona( No no no, I too work, you doesn't do everyting alone)" (this time much harsher, I knew a verbal combat has commenced....a short pause..."tomar ma khali aamar dosh dekhe(Your mother always finds fault in me)" (typical grudge against her mother-in-law like a typical wife)......"Aami office theke beriye porechhi, aashchhi bari(I've started from my office, coming home").

The lady rose and got down at her destined bus stop.

I was sort of enjoying it. It gave me peculiar sense of self-esteem of  "I am the only one whose could decrypt her encoded words among the fellow passengers".

I spotted a rugged looking man the other day. "Is he a Bengali?", I thought. Soon he proved me right. He received a phone call and started his conversation, as expected, in Bengali. "kemon haagu hochhe?(How was your stool?)"......"Shokto na norom?(Hard or soft?)"....."Koto baar hoyechhe?(How many times?")"...."Ki ronger? Holud na kalo kalo?(What was the colour?Yellow or blackish?)"....He kept on enquiring.

Talks on various issues have penetrated my ear drum on several occasions. Lectures on cooking, discussion about in-laws, generalr talks about daily life, second hand bike for sale, instructions of  taking regular medicines, availability of good maachh (fishes), colloquial chatter about hot babes, and even colour, texture and frequency of stool.

One common thing about all these conversations is that they are all monologues. Bengalis discussion all of them over their hand held devices.

If you are a Bengali staying in Bangalore, beware!!! The next time it might be your conversation published on my blog. Always remember that you'r not the only one.

5 comments:

  1. hahaha..i loved this one..
    aditi watch out..tor conversation onyo karur blog e na post hoye jaye!! :)
    and it seems marriage has rejuvenated ur writing n soul..
    way to go!! :)

    ReplyDelete

  2. I spotted a rugged looking man the other day. "Is he a Bengali?", I thought. Soon he proved me right. He received a phone call and started his conversation, as expected, in Bengali. "kemon haagu hochhe?(How was your stool?)"......"Shokto na norom?(Hard or soft?)"....."Koto baar hoyechhe?(How many times?")"...."Ki ronger? Holud na kalo kalo?(What was the colour?Yellow or blackish?)"....He kept on enquiring.


    not a intelligent quote....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute, but we would prefer if you returned to West bengal. Thanks.

    A kannadiga!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What actually are you trying to say...?? What is the purpose of all this ? Is it your hobby to overhear others conversation and write it on your blog.

    Don't you have any other work.This is not lecture...listen ,if you would have concentrated on some useful things and write it on your blog people would have admired.
    ""Kemon hagu hoyechhe" "sokto na norom ?" " mentioning these kind of conversation proves what you are....!!! I think you got that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Guys looking for Bengali tenant for renting 1 bhp 300 sqft in koramangala. can someone please help...rent is 10,000 (negotiable)...call 9731098136

    ReplyDelete